WELCOME to the SENECA HILL AQUATIC CENTER
Since the opening of our new state-of-the-art facility, the Seneca Hill Aquatic Center has been a popular center of activity – and with good reason.
Even initially reluctant swimmers soon become comfortable in the 80 degree water with our in-pool instructors. At the end of each session every swimmer is also blow-dried, adding to that feeling of well-being.
The pool (four feet deep, seven feet wide and thirty feet long) gives our swimmers plenty of room to increase their strength, flexibility and endurance through non-weight bearing exercise. Swimming in the pool’s warm water is particularly helpful
- For rehabilitation after surgery or an injury
- As exercise for older or infirm dogs
- To improve conditioning and fitness for athletic dogs
- To alleviate boredom and stress
And for all dogs, one of the biggest benefits of swimming is that it is just FUN!
INDIVIDUAL SWIM PROGRAMS
Seneca Hill in-pool instructors develop individual programs for each of our swimmers. For example, some dogs do well swimming in place with the instructor while other dogs prefer to swim laps and circuits around the pool.
Individual programs make each session enjoyable for every swimmer and help them get the maximum benefit from the session.
Our instructors also follow special guidelines for novice swimmers. They introduce these dogs gently to the pool and practice with them to be sure that each dog feels secure and is not afraid. The life jackets that novice swimmers wear also make them feel more secure by increasing buoyancy and allowing better control by the instructor.
For our athletes, Seneca Hill instructors take advantage of the resistance jets in the pool. These jets create a current for dogs to swim against, which increases the work-out benefit of the swim session.
If a swimmer is in a rehabilitation program, our instructors follow the directions from the veterinarian or physical therapist so that the swimmer gets the maximum benefit of the non-weight bearing therapeutic exercise.
POOL SAFETY and COMFORT
To help assure the safety and well-being of each Seneca Hill swimmer
- All swim sessions are supervised by an in-pool instructor.
- All dogs wear life jackets unless a dog is a proven swimmer.
The Seneca Hill pool also has a number of special features designed to make swimming more enjoyable for every dog:
- The pool is kept at a comfortable temperature of 80 degrees.
- The pool has no chlorine. Instead, the water contains bromine, which is kinder to a dog’s skin, eyes and coat.
- The pool has a gently sloping ramp and easy grip stairs, which are particularly helpful for novice swimmers and senior pets.
POOL HEALTH REQUIREMENTS
To keep all of our swimmers happy and healthy each swimmer must meet the following health requirements. In addition, we recommend that swimmers be on a monthly heartworm prevention regimen and be treated with a monthly flea and tick control product. Please let us know if your dog has special circumstances, such as medical reasons why your dog is not vaccinated, so that we can accommodate your special situation.
- Rabies Vaccine administered at least two weeks before your swim appointment and current per the manufacturer. If your dog is less than one month overdue, Seneca Hill can administer a Rabies vaccine. Puppies must be vaccinated by sixteen weeks, but it is not necessary to have a two-week waiting period.
- DHPP Vaccine administered at least two weeks before your swim appointment and current per your veterinarian. If your dog is less than one month overdue, Seneca Hill can administer a DHPP vaccine. Puppies must be current in their series of vaccine injections. Vaccination titers done within the past year showing protective immunity for Distemper virus and Parvovirus are also acceptable.
- Bordetella Vaccine administered at least five days but not more than six months before your swim appointment. This also applies to puppies. If your dog is less than one month overdue, Seneca Hill can administer a Bordetella vaccine.
- Fecal Examination must be negative within one year of the swim appointment and must be completed at least 48 hours before the swim appointment.
The cost for a 20-minute swim session is $38.00.
Swim sessions are by appointment.